Friday, November 12, 2010

I am feeling guilty but enjoying every moment!!

So my PC, Android, Windows Mobile phone buddies are making me feel guilty and rightly so for buying into the biggest closed system on the market where Steve Jobs dictates to me what software that I'm allowed to run (eg. no flash for website browsing), no external SD card, no upgradability on either battery pack or hard drive, but somehow I am addicted and have been happily assimilated into the Apple culture.

The most interesting thing about Apple is the experience!!

From the single IPad purchase, I've expanded my Apple ownership to a Mac Mini as well as an IPhone 4. One thing that you cannot accuse me of is blind marketing purchase as this is the first time that I actually invested time and effort in the research before making an informed decision to buy each Apple product.

It all starts with a great user experience. On the Mac Mini, even with a 2.4Ghz duo cpu, about 30-50% less power then my already outdated Quad 3ghz system, I am never left with the feeling that the Mac Mini was underpowered. In fact with the new IPhoto 11 to create Wedding photo albums, Garage Band to record my Piano Midi music and VM Fusion to run old Window apps, I am totally stoked on learning a new operating system as well as feeling satiated; a feeling that I haven't felt for a long time even with the introduction of Windows 7.

With Microsoft Windows, it was always the feeling of the Same ol, Same ol windows. It was never a breath of fresh air as it is with the Mac. In all my days of computers since the late 1970's, this is the first time that I could actually say that I'm having fun with my computer.

It is the user experience. With the IPad that I use as my Portfolio, it simply displays my Photos in stunning colors and resolution that sells my work to my clients. Pass the IPad to anyone and they are immersed into my world of photos without having to teach them how to navigate or where to navigate to see my photos. Squeeze and flick, the photos comes to life as though they were pages in a book.

Granted we had all these apps on phones before, but somehow the immersive experience on an IPad is just that much better. For the first time, internet browsing on a portable device has become fun and believe me, I had the first notebook computer, netbook, pocket PC and none of those devices has even come close in browsing the internet as it is on the IPad. The ability to zoom in on any part of the web page is a gift to my old age eyes. A quick swipe and the pages move.

After making an informed decision to buy the IPhone 4 today, after synching, all of my bought apps were loaded on my IPhone and worked immediately without having to re-purchase the same apps for my IPhone. One purchase works across all my Apple devices.

There is always something new to discover and it is a constant "Ahhhhh" moment that was always missing with the old windows environment. Perhaps it is just the fact that it is all new to me, but even with Windows 7 when there were things to discover, it was never an "ahhhh" moment.

From HD video recording, ibooks, a 5 megapixel camera, internet, video streaming, games, the list is endless and yes you will find all these functions on an Android phone, but somehow discovering these features on the IPhone is more refreshing.

The neat thing is that all three of my Apple products works together and I prefer a closed system of three rather then an open system like android of one.

ps. IBook bookmarks will sync between the IPhone and IPad so if you were reading on the IPhone and decided to continue reading on the IPad, sync the two devices and your bookmarks are copied.

No comments:

Post a Comment