Saturday, December 18, 2010

Movies on the Go

Recently I signed up for Netflix on the Canadian Side and the reason that I state Canadian Side is according to the internet our choices of movies is much less then our southern U.S. Cousin due to copyrights, which I am unable to verify since I am redirected to the Canadian site due to my IP. Although I could use a proxy, just to check out the selection, it is best that I don't torture myself.

Despite the slimmer pickings, Netflix is still what we have been waiting for since the delivery of the home PC; a library of movies at your fingertips on demand.

In order for companies like Netflix to work is that you must remember that that these are not the most current releases of movies. In fact the latest movie is about 6 months old and some of the more popular movies like Avatar is not yet available although the icon is up for display. "When Harry met Sally", "Back to the Future", all my old time favorites are also not available.

Now I do have the DVD's for these and they are part of my private collection for home theatre viewing. So it isn't that I am dependent on Netflix for all my home theatre needs.

Netflix works on a plethora of devices and certainly my iPhone, iPad and my most recent purchase, Apple TV, all work without a hitch. I can have up to 6 authorized devices on my account and resume watching any movie on any device. Thus I was getting sleepy watching a movie on the couch, I resumed the same movie on my iPhone and headed to bed. Since I fell asleep before the movie ended, I continued watching on my computer this morning while I answered my mail and posted this blog.

At Wendy's, I was able to scroll through a large selection of movies and simply picked an older movie for entertainment while I devour my evening meal.

There are movies that I definitely never want to watch, but the choices are there and since it is unlimited, someday I may choose to catch up TV shows such as Weeds, Chris Angel and much more.

Although the movie quality is 720p and at times depending on the bandwidth such as my IPad 3g, the quality dropped down to a pixelated mess, the movie was still watchable. At home, through Wifi N, I am able to get a consistent 720p with 5.1 surround sound on certain movies.

Netflix for $8 a month augments my meager home theatre selection and it the freedom to watch unlimited along with a library that is bigger then mine that makes Netflix a nice addition to my array of Apple entertainment products.

If you want blue-ray 1080p quality, netflix is not for you, but if you simply want to watch a quick movie, no download times, then netflix could be a nice addition to your tv selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment